Sunday, March 31, 2013

cloth diapering update - nighttime solution!

when I first posted about cloth diapering, I mentioned that we were still using disposables at night. it seemed like every cloth diaper we put him in overnight would leak, or he would wake up crying because he was soaked and uncomfortable. we tried bulky AIOs, fitteds with an extra insert stuffed in, pockets with microfiber AND hemp inserts... none of them worked for Ronin. 

I read about charcoal bamboo inserts while perusing a cloth diaper swap group on Facebook. I did some reading online and found several positive reviews on them as overnight inserts. charcoal bamboo, as it turns out, is highly porous, which makes it efficient in removing moisture. it also absorbs bad odor and is a naturally antibacterial. with so many people swearing by these inserts, I figured it wouldn't hurt to try, right? 

thanks to a quick search and one-click checkout at Amazon, I had two on my doorstep a few days later. the company that I ordered them from does the prep work for you, so my inserts were ready to use as soon I got them. that evening, I put him in a Thirsties Duo Diaper and stuffed it with the charcoal bamboo insert in addition to the standard microfiber and hemp combination that I normally use with those diapers. 



YOU GUYS. I'm pretty sure the gates of cloth diaper heaven opened up the next morning. I woke up next to Ronin, and to my surprise, he was completely leak-free. the charcoal bamboo had absorbed every drop of moisture from his diaper. in fact, the interior micro-fleece against his skin was dry to the touch... like, I rubbed it against my face. that's how dry it was. better yet, he didn't even smell like pee at ALL. I was amazed. still am, actually.

we've been using them every night since then and it's so nice to be able to have him in cloth 100% of the time. of course, now I have a pack of disposables that I don't know what to do with, ha! 

the charcoal bamboo inserts are a little bulky with the other Thirsties inserts, but I've realized that you cannot have maximum absorption without the bulk, so I'm down with it. I could set a soda can on his little fluff butt and I love it. 

disclaimer: I purchased the above mentioned products with my own money and was not compensated in any way for providing a review. the opinions expressed in this post are my own. 

2 comments:

  1. Ill have to check these out! Addie doesn't normally leak, even at night with a hemp and bamboo but she's been flipping to her tummy which is causing leaks so I think this might be good to try. <3 our cloth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ronin has been flipping to his belly too and it drives me nuts! I would definitely give them a try. they're cheap, so it's not a huge loss if they don't work out. let me know if you like them! :)

      Delete

I love getting comments from readers, so thank you for being so awesome!