Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Reverb 10 - December 17th

December 17: Lesson Learned
What was the best thing you learned about yourself this past year? And how will you apply that lesson going forward?


regardless of whether this year was full of more ups than downs or vice versa, I sure as hell have learned a lot about myself. I've been tested in more ways than one throughout 2010, which forced me to get to know myself on a different level. the best thing I've learned about myself this year is the amount of willpower I have. I've had to persevere through quite a few obstacles this year, and I think I've done an amazing job at standing my ground on numerous occasions.

I've been determined to live a healthier lifestyle and have been continuously training at the gym for almost 6 months. I've been making an effort to eat healthy meals and not allow myself to consume the junk I used to love. I've cut back on sodas and drink only one diet soda a day, and instead of drinking soft drinks all day, I drink water - all.day.long. as much as I'd love to indulge in sweets and fatty foods, I know that it'd be just like taking 2 steps backward, and it's not worth it to me.

I'm amazed at my willpower when it comes to not smoking. I thought it would be a lot harder than it actually is. I admit I have a hard time when I'm drinking and socializing with friends who are smokers, but I refrain from smoking by just telling myself it's not worth it to only have one while drinking. I know that I can't just have one cigarette and I know that I can't just be a social smoker.

it just doesn't work that way for me and it's never worked in the past... I'd start out smoking just on Saturday nights while out with friends, bumming one here and there. and then I'd "feel bad" for mooching and buy my own pack, but give them away at the end of the night so that I didn't take them home. before you knew it, I'd still have some leftover in that pack on Sunday and I'd be a regular smoker again. not this time though. I've not had a cigarette since Halloween night, which, unfortunately, was one of those nights when I was bumming from a friend. we've gone out with friends multiple times since then, and I've been good about not jumping on the wagon and just having one. so hallelujah to that! 

there are tons of other situations that show how my willpower has strengthened this year, but I'll just leave you with those two, since I think they're the most important. now... time to catch up on the rest of the Reverb prompts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments from readers, so thank you for being so awesome!