Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Reverb 10 - December 13th

December 13: Action
When it comes to aspirations, it’s not about ideas. It’s about making ideas happen. What’s your next step?


the next step for my future is to finish my associate's degree in Interior Design, and I've already begun to take the steps toward achieving that goal. I've recently re-enrolled in school and I just signed up to take my first college course in 4 years. it's a sociology class, which I'm looking forward to, and it's online, so I don't have to worry about driving to campus at all. 

I'm really excited about being in school again, but I'm a little nervous at the same time. I know it's totally not the norm, but I actually LOVED being in school - I love to learn and explore new subjects, and attaining my degree is something I've always wanted. it's a little nerve wrecking to think about how much homework I'll have and what papers I'll have to write, and then think about how I'll actually take classes ON campus eventually (all interior design/architecture classes are held on campus) with my busy schedule. I know it's something I'll have to just deal with and make time for, but it makes me nervous because I know it'll be stressful for me to try and juggle my full time job, my home life, my workout schedule, AND school work.

I know that earning my degree is the best thing for my future. while I (hopefully) plan to stay home when we have children, I'd like to have a degree under my belt so that I can have my own career once our kids are grown. I don't want to rely on Sean to provide for our family forever, and I'm entirely too independent to let that happen anyway.

as I've mentioned (many times) before, design has always, ALWAYS been a passion of mine, and I couldn't imagine studying anything else. there's nothing else out there that interests me as much as the study of interiors and architecture. I know that there is not a huge demand for that profession, and I'm completely aware of the fact that I may not be able to make as much money as I'd like... but I think if I can get my foot in the door and meet the right people, I could have a pretty steady salary.

more importantly, I know I'll be happy as a designer. I think I naturally have a good eye when it comes to space planning, texture & color combination, and textiles, so I'm really hoping that I can learn the trade and know what I'm doing at a technical standpoint. 

don't get me wrong, I like my job now, and I have the ability to go far in this business and make a lot of money... but it's not MY dream. it's not what I want to do for the rest of my life. I see how stressed out my dad is and how hard he still works at almost 50 years old, and I admire him, I really do... but I don't want that stress to be passed down to me... at least not running a business that isn't my own. I want my own business, I want my OWN dreams to come true. 

and hopefully, by going back to school and attaining this degree, I'll be one step closer to that dream. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments from readers, so thank you for being so awesome!