Tuesday, November 16, 2010

giving thanks | day thirteen

 


just in case you couldn't tell, I'm eternally grateful for the written word and modern literature. hell, I even love not-so modern literature. 

I love sticking my nose in a book for days at a time. in fact, I don't think I'll ever be able to buy an e-reader like the Kindle, because I love physically having a book in my hand. I love the smell of pages in a book, whether it's a new or old one. I love the way a book ages over time, and the pages are bent and the spine is a little wonky. I love being able to read the same passage over and over again, even highlighting parts that I love (yes, I know I can do this with a Kindle, but that's not the point).

I mean think about it... there would be NOTHING without books. there would be no schooling, no subjects to learn. there wouldn't be religion, no bible to study, read, and/or interpret. no guides on how to take the perfect picture, build the best birdhouse, or learn the French language. you'd basically have to do everything by memory, or by what someone else tells you to do. personally, I think reading is much easier... and more interesting.

books allow me to escape reality for a short while, and live in another world... a fantasy world... a world I'd never even be able to imagine if I hadn't picked that certain book. they allow me to learn about everything from history, to science, to design... anything I've ever dreamed of knowing, I can find in a book. 

and for that, I'm thankful. 







HAPPY TUESDAY!

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you...I love books, and the escape that they provide. And I even love those "wonky" spines as well :)
    anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps - did you knowwww that tosh always says at the end of one of his segments ... 'and for that, we thank you!'
    i always think of him when you say the similiar passage! ;]

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from readers, so thank you for being so awesome!